FAQ  •  Login

Cloverfield

<<

Dasilias

Druid Lead

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:07 pm

Cloverfield

Yes, I am a big fan of giant monster movies. Their cheesiness and awesomeness know no bounds.

That being said, I have looked forward to this movie for some time. Looks like a much more personal/darker giant monster movie, similar to the first Godzilla, and hopefully the use of news clips/blair witch like handycam scenes are done well.

Anyway, I will be seeing this film in roughly.... 1 hour, and will return with my thoughts. Anyone else going to/ have seen this yet?

In other news, here's the American "Godzilla" making sweet love to a building.
<<

Coremethod

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:18 pm

I have just seen it, and i must say.
Win.
Ending though...

FAIL.

Other than that if you go see it make sure there arent any pre-pubesent fucking fuckers in the front row, made me wanna rip out there jugular and eat there voice box.
Practice makes perfect, but obsession makes better.
<<

Dasilias

Druid Lead

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:24 am

Now I really enjoyed the ending. Based off the initial opening explanation you already knew the outcome of the movie, and the way they tied in the old tape with the new tape at the end, and throughout the movie was spot on in my opinion.

Das' Thoughts on Cloverfield: For those who are bored enough to care.

Well I was worried they would pull a US Godzilla and make a crapfest, but the movie stayed true to the overall vibe it had sent out with the short clips and trailers. The movie is very personal and all the action is in your face from start to end.

The use of the first person camera really gave this movie a realism that hasn't been seen in this type of film since the first Godzilla. In that Godzilla nearly many of the shots of the monster were shot from ground level, putting you in action along with the victims. Gradually the Godzilla movies shifted away from this realistic look, and became the comedic distant, aerial shots, that most people connect Godzilla films with. It was also cool to have the music for the final credits closely resemble the old Godzilla theme.

Though Cloverfield is a serious film, they were able to interject comedy throughout the movie, without detracting from the very shocking things that are taking place. The first 15 minutes or so set up a going away party, and introduces the audience to the main source of comedy throughout the movie, the camera man. His quips and comments throughout the movie give the audience a reprieve from the near non-stop action and chaos.

Yes the camera is jerky in alot of scenes, and for people who found blair witch unbearable because of this, you should be warned. Though, Cloverfield does not drag on in the way Blair Witch did, and should keep you interested despite the shaky camera work at times.

The monster was very cool, and original. The way the movie gradually introduces you to the monster was very well done. Not until the final ten minutes or so do you completely see the size and shape of the monster. This keeps the monster in the unknown and hightens the suspense of the film. Also, the monster is not the only danger in this film, and a scene in the subway tunnels will have you on your seat.

All in all, I highly recommend you go see this film. The very nature of this type of film lends itself to a theater experience. If you want a movie filled with action, suspense, tragedy, and a giant alien, go forth to this film.

Also, apparently in the final scene at the beach you can see something crash into the ocean. I did not notice anything, but if I see this again I'm gonna look for it. Also, in the beginning apparently there are strange lights in the night sky.
<<

Coremethod

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:11 am

Das, is that last part true? I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary sadly...

Spoiler Alert!!! (For das or anyone else that can explain...)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Was there ever a given explanation for the chick that got bit and she like... exploded?
<<

Dasilias

Druid Lead

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:09 pm

Coremethod wrote:Das, is that last part true? I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary sadly...

Spoiler Alert!!! (For das or anyone else that can explain...)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Was there ever a given explanation for the chick that got bit and she like... exploded?

Apparently it has been confirmed you can see an object crashing into the ocean during the Coney Island scene. Also at the end of the credits there is a sound clip that if played backwards says It's still alive. The sound clip atleast is on ytmnd and youtube.

SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG SPOILERS OMG

I'm assuming the parasites/creature are alien in source and have some crazy alien bacteria/virus/whatever that the human body cannot handle. Since she started bleeding out of her eyes and whatnot. And thus, they eventually explode in bloody goodness.
<<

Kaunad

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:52 pm

OMG I gots spoilers like woahs

At the credits ending of Cloverfield, *spoilers* the audio from the video cam says, "Help us!".
But when played backwards, it says, "It's still alive!" This happens after the end credits
of Cloverfield. Assuming the speaker was Rob, he suggests Cloverfield (the monster)
is still alive. This also suggests a sequel for Cloverfield 2! *Spoilers*

The Japanese oil company TAGRUATO drops a satellite (Chimpanz III) into the ocean as part
of viral marketing (shown at the end of the movie when Rob and Beth were on the ferris wheel).
TAGRUATO works with SLUSHO (a slush company), as the main ingredient for SLUSHO is found
at the satellite dropzone (deep ocean). While searching for satellite and ingredients, they
woke Cloverfield (the monster).

People who were at the party in the beginning of the movie, were seen wearing SLUSHO shirts.
Rob apparently was going to be the Vice President of TAGRUATO in Japan.

The main ingredient of Slusho apparently turns a tiny fish into a HUGE whale in Ganu's (he found the nectar) dream, which explains the size of Cloverfield. *Update* The main ingredient is a deep sea nectar.

*Update* Because the ingredient was discovered on the deep ocean floor, under amazing
pressure and in the most extreme cold, Ganu knew he had to serve the ingredient in a
near frozen state to preserve its freshness. Thus the idea of Slush (Slusho)!

For animals/fishes/insects to survive in the deepest ocean (very high boiling temperature),
they naturally have very high heat resistance. This explains how Cloverfield is able to
withstand numerous bombs and attacks from the army.

Cloverfield refers to the field formerly known as Central Park. Clovers are
usually prone to grow at places after bombing. Thus the term "Clover" and "field" referring to park.

*Update* Slusho is a very addictive drink, with signs of steroid drug like effects. Makes
people stronger, constantly happy, have happy dreams and finally... "SLUSHO
makes my stomach explode with happy!!" (Remember Marlena's stomach?)
<<

Dasilias

Druid Lead

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:08 am

Wait... wait.... whaaaaat?
<<

Kaunad

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:22 am

crazy epix infosz imo
<<

Coremethod

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:04 pm

Ya... IMA HAVE TO CONFIRM THIS?
WAR TEH HELZ DID U GET THE INFOEERMATIOOON? (Source now.)
<<

Dasilias

Druid Lead

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:48 pm

1337 BLAWG THEOREEZ

In other news, has anyone seen The Host. The somewhat new Korean monster movie. If so comment on it.

<<

Paxine

Undying Sun God

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:13 pm

The host was a damn good flick if you like crazy monster movies with a very, VERY well done Monster.

There's no pussy footing around in this movie... no 'Oh I wonder what the monster looks like' or any of that bull.

That thing is up in your grill and talkin' smack pretty early in the movie and it is VERY well done.

GOGOGO KOREANS
<<

Dasilias

Druid Lead

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Sold, I will have to look for this.

Return to OT and nonsence board